Thursday, December 27, 2012

Easy Vegan Mac N' Cheeze


One of the hardest things for me to give up when I decided to go vegan was CHEESE. I thought to myself, how can I give up the gooey goodness I grew up eating. What kid does not love a grilled cheese sandwich, a cheese pizza, or better yet macaroni and cheese. One of the first things I ever cooked was Kraft's boxed macaroni and cheese. To me it was always odd seeing cheese in this powder formed, but I never questioned it because the end result was beyond delicious.

As a vegan it has become my mission to show people that I can eat anything they do, I'm not some crazy hippie chewing on grass and carrots. When people inevitably ask me "So what do you eat???" whenever I tell them about my lifestyle, I love to proudly answer "anything I want," because in reality in this time and age just about everything can be veganized.

This recipe to me is as simple as dumping powder cheese into a saucer. When I made this recipe I didn't really use measurements, so I dont know if this can really be called a recipe. Either way you will end up with a delicious dish! I like adding some Sriracha or cook up some faux italian sausage such as Field Roast Italian Sausage and incorporate it into the mac n' cheeze. So here we go...

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta
  • 1 bag of Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
  • Milk alternative of choice (make sure it's not flavored because I don't think vanilla flavored mac n' cheeze will taste so great...but who knows)
  • Earth Balance
  •  Salt and Pepper to taste
  • A dash of your favorite hot sauce (optional)

Start off by following the instructions on the back of your pasta to cook it.

Drain and set aside to cool.

In a medium-size sauce pan add about 1/3 c. of earth balance and let it melt on medium-high heat. Once melted add about 1/2 c. of milk substitute. Lower heat to low-medium. Incorporate a handful of the cheese shreds and stir constantly.

The consistency should be smooth so if necessary add more milk and/or earth balance until you have melted the entire bag of Daiya. Add salt and pepper and hot sauce to taste. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.

Start incorporating the pasta into the cheese sauce mixture.


The end result should look like the picture above.

Serve and enjoy :)

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I found this blog, I also live in Houston and my boyfriend and I are beginners in the vegan diet. It's refreshing to see a local Houstonite post tips on cosmetics and a mac and cheese recipe all in one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My blog is just this little thing I do whenever I have free time. If you ever need help with anything or have questions about veganism you can always contact me! My intagram and twitter accounts are both @joyofveganism :)

      Delete
  2. I love mac and cheese!!!!!!

    www.veganmiam.com

    ReplyDelete